Opened: November 1942 - Care & Maintenance: 20 September 1944 - Closed: December 1945 .
Information derived from RAF Squadrons (Jefford), RAF Flying Training & Support Units (Sturtivant et al),
Military Airfields of Britain - South Western England (Delve) and other books.
N.B. (det) means only a part of the unit was detached to here from its main base, and possibly only for part
of the period noted.
|Station Flt.||?||?||various inc Spitfire II, Tiger Moth & Beaufort|
|53 Sqdn.||1/1/43||18/2/43||Hudson V|
|279 Sqdn (det)||5/2/43||9/6/43||Hudson|
|612 Sqdn.||12/4/43||25/5/43||Whitley VII & Wellington XIII||both types at the same time !|
|192 Sqdn. (det)||summer 43||summer 43||some or all of Mosquitos, Wellingtons and Halifaxes|
|547 Sqdn.||31/5/43||25/10/43||Wellington XI|
|304 Sqdn.||7/6/43||13/12/43||Wellington X then XIII then XIV||re-equipped Jun 43 & Sept 43|
|281 Sqdn.(dets)||Dec 43||Feb 45 ?||Warwick I|
|269 Sqdn.||8/1/44||8/3/44||Hudson IIIA, Martinet, Walrus, Spitfire VB|
|282 Sqdn.||1/2/44||19/9/44||Warwick I|
|206 Sqdn.||18/3/44||12/4/44||Liberator VI||re-equipping from Fortress II|
|524 Sqdn.||7/4/44||1/7/44||Wellington XIII|
|404 Sqdn.||8/5/44||1/7/44||Beaufighter X||then dets to Sept 44|
|144 Sqdn.||10/5/44||1/7/44||Beaufighter X|
|236 Sqdn||6/8/44 ?||25/8/44 ?||Beaufighter||just a detachment ?|
- R.A.F. Davidstow Moor; Coastal Command 1942-1945 - Author: David
Keast, Published by Camelfield
- RAF Davidstow Moor 1942 to 1945 - Authors: Rod & Anne Knight, Publisher: CAWM
- Memories and Records of RAF Davidstowe Moor Cornwall - Author: D.C.Keast, Publisher: self published ?
- 304 Squadron (a Mushroom Model Magazine Special) - Author: Mariusz Konarski, Publisher: Stratus - has many pages and photos on their time at Davidstow
- Dinghy Drop - the history of 279 Sqdn.- Author: Tom Docherty, Publisher: Pen & Sword - gives details of the detachments. The Davidstow detachment was the result of a move
of the St.Eval detachment and was notable foir the first operational search (not dropped) with a lifeboat on 17/2 by F/O Crawford in S (AE519?).
- There is a small museum on the site of Davidstow Moor (adjacent to the Dairy Crest factory), open from Easter to the end of October.
There is also the Cornwall at War museum adjacent to this. They seem to be
- The RAF Davidstow moor website
- Operational Record Book (ORB) references in the National Archives are AIR28/181,
AIR28/184, AIR28/185 & AIR28/186, not available online.
Also the general references listed on the RAF in Devon & Cornwall home page
Note the 236 Squadron assignment/detachment in August 1944 is not
listed in the published squadron history books but is in the airfield
history books. It also appears in the Squadron ORB - thanks to Terry at
Modelling Notes for individual aircraft
produce a 404 Sqdn Beaufighter decal sheet which I highly recommend that
includes examples from Davidstow.
- An interesting variation -due presumably to a hasty transfer of an
aircraft originally in Bomber Command colours - Wellington X HZ258 'S' of
304 Sqdn appears in colour photos in the Mushroom Publications 304
Squadron book with Dark Green / Dark Earth upper sufaces and white below.
The photo also appears on
- The 304 Sqdn book also has photos of Coastal Wellingtons in
|Pictorial References For Modellers|
|Beaufighter||TF.X||404 Sqdn||EE.H||NE355||Action Stations Revisited 4||102||R|
|Beaufighter||X||404 sqdn||EE.H||NE355||Coastal Command (Ashworth)||115||R|
|Beaufighter||X||404 Sqdn||2.H||NE355||Cornish Skies||62||R|
|Warwick||I||282 Sqdn||K||HF944||Action Stations Revisited 4||103||R|
|Wellington||GR.XIII||304 Sqdn||2.J||HX577||304 Squadron (Mushroom)||42||R|
|Wellington||GR.XIII||304 Sqdn||2.D||HZ635||304 Squadron (Mushroom)||43||R|
|Wellington||GR.XIII||304 Sqdn||2.E||HZ744||304 Squadron (Mushroom)||44||R|
|Wellington||GR.XIII||304 Sqdn||2.G||HZ762||304 Squadron (Mushroom)||45||R|