Opened: 19/5/41 (15/9/37 as civil airport) - Closed: September 1944 (continued as civil airport).
Information derived from RAF Squadrons (Jefford), RAF Flying Training & Support Units (Sturtivant et al),
Military Airfields of Britain - South Western England (Delve) and other books.
N.B. (det) means only a part of the unit was detached to here from its main base, and possibly only for part
of the period noted.
|87 Sqdn. (det)||19/5/41||10/4/42||Hurricane I (& II ?)||permanent detachment of 6 a/c became 1449 Flight|
|1449 (Fighter) Flight||10/4/42||17/9/44||Hurricane I, II & X||6 aircraft|
- Scilly at War by RL Bowley published by Bowley Publications
Also the general references listed on the RAF in Devon & Cornwall home page
Modelling Notes for individual aircraft
- Scilly at War has a table of actions by the Hurricanes including LK.A/P2798; LK.B/W9196; LK.N/W9139
- Flying Units of the RAF (Lake) gives Tutor K4808; Tiger Moth II DE808; Hurricane I P3317; Hurricane X AF997 and
Hurricane IIB Z3658 VD.K
- Action Stations 5 has a photo of 87 Sqdn. Hurricane Is at St.Mary's in all black finish including LK.P (serial invisible).
- Action Stations 5 states a Whitley of 10 OTU overshot an attempted landing on 27/1/43 - I think this was Z6875 P attached to 59 Sqdn. on
an anti-submarine patrol. All the crew survived but the aircraft did not, ending up in a quarry.
|Pictorial References For Modellers|
|Hurricane||IIc||87 Sqdn||LK.A||BE500||Action Stations Revisited 4||262||R|
|Sunderland||I||10 Sqdn RAAF||RB.B||W4020 ?||Scilly at War||293||V|